Re: Assorted arm-buster problems - network configuration

On Friday 05 July 2019 08:17:16 Reco wrote:

> 	Hi.

> > > Easy. You don't understand what the software does (Gene's here),
> > > or you don't need its functions (I'm here) - you just do not
> > > install it. You don't fight with it, you don't try to "disable" it
> > > in myriad ways, and you do not build assorted kludges alongside of
> > > it - you do not install it, simple as that.
> >
> > Its not quite that simple on the arm's.
>
> But it's simple as that.
> dd-ready images are provided for the user's convenience, but they're
> not the only way one installs the OS on arm.
> For instance, I personally ran debian-installer on Marvell Orion,
> Armada and Exynos boards to my full satisfaction (i.e. - a real Debian
> installed with the parts I need).
>
> It's true, that some boards (namely, Raspberry Pi) aren't true Open
> Hardware so they require non-free blobs just to boot.
> There are boards (Amazon's Annapurna) which are downright hostile in
> this regard as there are no mainline support worthy to speak of.
>
> Debian may or may not get there - for instance, I heard some good news
> about Raspberry Pi support in buster (not to be confused with
> Raspbian).
>
> Reco

So have I Reco. And I just got done building a raspian buster image with
a 4.14.91-rt-v7 kernel, which is a step backwards from the 4.19.50
non-rt kernel that the zip comes with. But the build ended doing quite a
few things I not seen it do before, including printing a big success in
green text.  So despite the fact that I really need to fork the rider
and demolish 7" of grass, I'm going out to Wallies and getting two more
64GB PNY brand cards and I'm going to burn that image, then mount it and
nuke what screwed me out of 4 days of my life so it can't do it again,
and install the network configs from this card, then take it to the pi
and boot it.  Then comes the real fun, building linuxcnc on buster. That
may take some coding skills I don't have as I am told buster has removed
some stuff that linuxcnc needs, probably older python stuff. Some of
linuxcnc dates back to before linux even, since what it is, is the
growth of a NIST project to update our countries manufacturing machinery
so as to remain competitive with the progress the rest of the world was
making after WW-II. So the history goes back a long ways, governed by
NIST rules about public domain but gradually rewritten in clean rooms so
the much better protections of the gpl and lgpl could be applied.  So
while its close to 60 years old now, it is still under active
development as new machines using different tech come online, often with
poorly written proprietary software, but we have interfaces that can
drive 90% of then OOTB.  Sometimes at 10x the speed the OEM drivers
could do it. And usually adding to the list of things the machine can
do, none of my machines need to change gears (they don't even have gears
unless the spindle is multispeed) to switch from inches to mm's, and all
of then can drive a tap into a hole at exactly the taps pitch, then back
it out of the hole by the same rules. A $30 carbide 4-40 tap has at one
makers site, tapped around 40,000 holes with no noticeable wear, in 1/8"
alu plate simply because its being used correctly.  That old bridgeport
mill was never made to do that, works great when the screws have been
replaced with ball screws turned by motors controlled to the micron by
linuxcnc.

But I digress, so I'll play an Andy Capp and shudup.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis