Re: Setting up bind9/DNS

On Fri 28/Jun/2019 22:02:52 +0200 Joe wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jun 2019 11:44:54 -0500 Dennis Wicks <wix@mgssub.com> wrote:
>
>> I was thinking that I could setup a nameserver on my machine
>> with enries in it for the virtual hosts and have my local
>> network address in the list of nameservers in my
>> modem/router, and that is where I need the help.
>
> There are probably simpler solutions, but BIND works fine.

yep!

> The thing you need to know is 'rpz', Response Policy Zone. Otherwise
> you would have to set up a separate zone file for each of your domains.
> With rpz, you can just throw any hostname and IP address into one file,
> a sort of /etc/hosts for BIND.

Oh, well, RPZ is certainly a nice addon, but I wouldn't call it a simplification.

Actually, BIND doesn't need a file for each host.  It needs a file for each
zone, which is what is called a /zone file/.  So long as all virtual hosts
share the same TLD, they fit on the same zone file.

Bind allows different views.  That feature allows you to use internal network
number and names on the internal view only, in case you use the server also to
maintain a public domain name.

And of course, you can configure ISC DHCP to work with it.

Good luck
Ale