Re: Debian Perl or Brew Perl for production application?

On Mon, Jul 01, 2019 at 06:30:19PM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> I tend to stick to Debian packages as my primary choice, resorting
> to off-distribution packages when needed (e.g. not packaged for
> Debian, or I /need/ a newer version). Of course it takes some foresight
> to guess in advance whether you expect such a situation in the
> future.
>
> Rationale: they mesh better with the flow of system updates/upgrades.
>
> I've found Perl packaging in Debian outstanding. The Debian Perl
> packaging team does a damn good job indeed.

Pretty much the same here.  I was initially hired as a Perl developer,
then gradually moved into more sysadmin duties and, in both roles, I
prefer to stick with the Debian-packaged perl binary.  It gets me
security updates as needed and the only reasons I see a particular need
for PerlBrew and the like are:

1) You need different compile-time options than Debian chooses

2) You need access to a feature that's only present in a newer-than-
   Debian Perl version

3) You want to have the "latest and greatest" for its own sake

Personally, I've never encountered #1 or #2 in practice and if #3
mattered to me, then I wouldn't be running Debian stable in the first
place.

--
Dave Sherohman