Re: Debian Perl or Brew Perl for production application?

I have worked in a couple places that prefer ActiveState perl.
https://www.activestate.com/products/activeperl/

On Mon, Jul 1, 2019, 11:37 AM Jonas Smedegaard <jonas@jones.dk> wrote:
Hi Didar,

Quoting Didar Hossain (2019-07-01 18:22:18)
> I am developing a perl application to be deployed on a production
> Debian Stable VM. So far, my approach has been to use the debian perl
> packages (perl modules) and stay within those facilities. I am the
> sole system operator and wannabe developer, there are no teams of
> sysadmins or developers.
>
> Do you guys who run production debian stable servers use the debian
> perl packages or use something like PerlBrew? I asked this question on
> #perl IRC and they answered "PerlBrew/plenv/perl-build" - I want some
> experienced opinions from the debian community as well.

I do a bit of perl programming (am JONASS on CPAN) and am a Debian
developer as well.

I use cpanm occationally on my developer laptop, but on production
servers I only use Debian packages.  I might "cheat" and install
backported packages or even unofficial .deb packages, but never
"side-installed" code on production servers.  Reason is that I want a
single place to keep track of all code installed on the system: APT.

You might consider ask your question at the debian-perl mailinglist, as
you are more likely to reach Perl folks there, I guess.

 - Jonas

 * Tlf.: +45 40843136  Website: http://dr.jones.dk/

 [x] quote me freely  [ ] ask before reusing  [ ] keep private