Re: OT:hardware query

On 2019-06-29 17:17, Dan Ritter wrote:
Martin Smith wrote:
On 28/06/2019 17:11, mick crane wrote:
> The first concern if getting a new PC is that it can play the steam
> games and they are getting really pushy what they need to work.
> I never have proper available funds for this stuff these days and
> generally buy used..
> The idea is each year or so get something else and move the last one
> down to doing more useful work.
> That would mean it should have facility to attach 2 or more internal
> drives and slots for network cards.
> If that makes sense what advise something used for 200 UKP ?
> mick

if you are anywhere near london you should go to the Stratford computer fair
lots of good quality secondhand stuff

General advice:

- look for a generic PC, avoiding laptops and anything described
  as "mini".

- Don't obsess over CPUs. The last 8 years have only given
  incremental improvements.

- Look for PCIe slots on the motherboard instead of PCI.

- Look for 4 DIMM slots for RAM, either DDR3 or DDR4. DDR2 is
  too old to find in useful quantity.

- Assume that you're going to replace a spinning disk in the
  near future. As long as it has a sufficient number of SATA2 or
  SATA3 ports, you'll be fine. 4 is the minimum.

- Assume that you need to replace the graphics card in order to
  play games.

-dsr-

are you saying that there's not much noticeable difference between i3,i5,xeon E3,i7
with the same graphics card ?
Would seem that a processor without integrated graphics might be better ?

mick

--
Key ID    4BFEBB31