Re: New nomeclature of ethernet devices

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 08:23:31PM +0200, Martin S. Weber wrote:
This is not true. I use USB OTGs of embedded devices behind an USB hub,
and the interface names vary between various power cycles of the embedded
devices.

Current default for USB ethernet (AFAIK) is to use enxNNNNNNNNNNNN where the NNNNNNNNNNN is the MAC address. It might be that the fact that they're OTG that's confusing something, you might have an alternate configuration, or it could be an older version. If it is the current version on a clean install I'd simply consider it a bug.

Note the debian box keeps running in the meantime. I can turn on
the device, get interface name #1, then turn it off again, then get
interface name #1i1 (note the i1), then turn it off again, then get
interface name #2 ad nauseatum. This is all but predictable.

The kernel increments the USB device number for each new device. If you're using the systemd option to name based on device path rather than MAC, it's inevitable that it will change on add/remove because systemd is getting the information from the kernel.