Re: New nomeclature of ethernet devices

* On 2019 25 Jun 09:00 -0500, Dan Purgert wrote:
> The "problem" with them was that they apparently weren't consistent
> across boots if you had multiples of the same "type" -- although I can't
> remember that ever happenening, even on crazy frankenboxes that had 3
> and 4 PCI NICs in them (barring moving things around, but these
> "predictable names" change too).

Disclaimer, I am not nor ever have been a professional admin and I've
not dealt with a computer with multiple ethernet NICs.

I seem to recall that on initial installation with some prior releases
that udev would write a rules file that mapped a hardware address to an
interface name.  I hit this a couple of times when moving a disk into
another machine and found that firewall rules didn't work since the NIC
was now eth1 instead of eth0.  A simple edit of the rules file to
comment out the eth0 stanza and renaming eth1 to eth0 and restarting
networking resolved the issue, as I recall.  It may have taken a system
restart instead, I don't remember exactly.

I'm unsure why the udev approach wasn't good enough, but here we are.
On this desktop I restored the old naming convention for various reasons
while the laptop has the new convention.  Both work, but the predictable
names are a bit of random noise to my eyes and require a moment's
parsing.

- Nate

Web: https://www.n0nb.us  GPG key: D55A8819  GitHub: N0NB