Re: Unreliable systemd user service

On 21/06/19 6:25 PM, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
Aidan Gauland writes:
I have a user service for running xautolock that does not start on login
reliably, and I have no idea why, because there is no error message,
just an exit code of 1.  (Unit file and output of systemctl status
attached.)  Any suggestions on what to do next to troubleshoot this?
I would guess `xautolock` might be started before X is
running/accessible by your user.

Does the journal contain any useful log messages?  Note that there is a
race condition that some messages might not be logged as part of the
user service[1], so you might have to check all log messages and cannot
rely on journalctl's `--user-unit` option.

Nope, absolutely nothing in the logs.

Someone else suggested running xautolock from my .xsessionrc script so that it is always run after X is running, and that seems to work.  I wanted to run this via systemd because that's easier to restart after making tweaks than something run as part of a startup script, but I have not been able to find any mechanism to delay starting a user service until the graphical login is ready.