Re: System on a chip - performance relative size and setup (how can the (Debian) setup make a difference?)

rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 18, 2019 11:21:51 AM Erik Josefsson wrote:
> > If the computer runs from the SD card, the memory you are talking about
> > is also on that same SD card, no?
>
> I should let Andy speak for himself, but, I believe the answer is no --
> earlier in the thread something made me think you were confusing RAM with
> memory on the SD card -- RAM is not on the SD card, it is "closer" to the CPU,
> on or near the motherboard.  (I don't know whether an SOC (System on a Chip)
> includes the RAM on the chip -- if not, it is much closer, physically and
> electrically to the CPU than the SD card.

Some SoCs are literally mounted directly beneath a RAM chip;
some have a fixed amount of RAM built-in; some use an external
RAM supply (which may be soldered or socketed).

The useful ways of generically referring to these things:

memory = RAM, volatile on power loss

storage = "disk" of some variety, retaining information through
          power loss

-dsr-