Re: IPv4 v IPv6

On Monday 17 June 2019 01:00:53 pm Dan Ritter wrote:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Monday 17 June 2019 10:54:19 am Dan Ritter wrote:
> >
> > I have for eth0, two scope global addresses in a new stretch install
> > of an r-pi-3b, one from avahi and one from e/n/i.d/eth0, but the
> > instant it goes global, it sends from the avahi address 169.etc.
> > Since thats out of my local/24 domain, it of course doesn't work for
> > global access as my router doesn't pass it.  As this is a hosts file
> > local network, how can I turn off the avahi stuff forever?  It's
> > screwing me up.
>
> sudo apt remove avahi*

Even removing it didn't help, pings to yahoo.com are issued from the
169.254 etc address.  So its got to be cached someplace. Damn, according
to syslog, its dhcpcd doing it. But I'm guessing at the log times
because the clock is AFU since ntp can't reach its pool servers anymore
than my pings can get to yahoo.

But I just disabled dhcpcd and now the local address is unreachable.  So
I'll have to go see wtf happened from its own keyboard. Laterz.

I need to go get a new ground drive belt for my rider, some idiot,
probably me, put a 3/8" belt of it 3 or 4 years ago, and its supposed to
be a 1/2" belt, this one is narrow enough to slip between the guides
when I step on the clutch. No end to it I tell you, and excedrin has not
assigned a headache number it, yet. :)

> or
>
> edit /etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf and comment out both
> use-ipv4=yes
> use-ipv6=yes
>
> > Thats the entire point, with a hosts file based local net, its a
> > hindrance that has become a showstopper. And short of commenting
> > every line in /e/i.d/avahi-* out, I don't know how to stop that PITA
> > from screw that machine up. Apparently systemctl disable
> > avahi-daemon is NOT sufficient. systemctl, spit. If it can't do what
> > its told to do, what good is it?
>
> Indeed.
>
> -dsr-

Cheers, Gene Heskett