Re: Privacy policy of packages/softwares installed in Debian

On Monday 10 June 2019 01:00:58 pm John Hasler wrote:

> Gene writes:
> > All of that I'm well aware of Tomas. So yes "should" is a bit
> > stronger sounding than I intended.  But at my thinkers age, I'd like
> > to think I have sense enough left to know my limits.  So I ask.  I
> > am behind the curve of any modern language, even bash scripts I
> > wrote 10 years ago can be a puzzle when they miss-fire until I've
> > mentally stepped thru them several times. Its even personally
> > embarrassing if when I find the why, and wonder WIH did I do it that
> > way?
>
> Programming adage: Never make your code so clever that you can just
> barely understand it yourself because *you* will have to understand it
> in the future and you won't be this clever then.

Chuckle.  Yessir. I used to do my coding in assembler, and later in C but
that C was first edition, without the advanced bit twiddling since that
target cpu's didn't have a barrel shifter. My targets started out with
the rca 1802 in '78. Might have included the TI-9900 but the entry price
was above my pay grade, so the majority of my code output ran on a 6809
or 6309 & still does. The 6x09's with PIC were a breath of fresh air,
and cleared the way for a unix-like os called os9. When the 6309 was
discovered I volunteered to rewrite a portion of that os to make it run
faster. But all that was 40 to 30 years ago.

> On the other hand "What idiot designed this?  Oh.  It was me." is an
> ordinary engineering experience.

Head slappers, John.  Feels so good when you stop :)

> You can help the maintainers by running Unstable or Testing and filing
> bug reports.

Is there a URL to aid that upgrade?  Or is it a start with a new drive &
iso image? I'm in favor of operational continuity, if it can be had.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)