Re: What is agetty, and why can't it be stopped?

On Fri, Jun 07, 2019 at 11:48:17AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
Neither can I and this "service" is not a familiar term since this is my
first expedition into systemd territory.

Try the systemd.service manual page to find out more.

Drivewire was written in Java, and changes in Java from wheezy to stretch
have killed that, but a replacement is being written in python in hopes
it might be a more stable language. We as a group, had no clue that Java
would be changed to be so damned incompatible with itself.

This is quite an aside, but I was interested in this problem. Wheezy was
released in 2013, and Stretch in 2017, 4 years later. I'm finding it hard to
answer what version of Java was in Wheezy, due to its age, but I think it's
OpenJDK 7.  Stretch has OpenJDK 8, one major version further on. There are no
doubt compatibility problems between 7 and 8, but relatively few (and certainly
a lot fewer than 8 → 11).

Java's compatibility story is — relative to most comparable languages — very
good. I regularly run a Java program originally written 20 years ago. If you're
going with Python make sure you start with Python 3, not 2.

I can likely go with the flow as long as its documented in readily
accessable form, something that L.P. is good at, he writes nice "papers"
on his stuff but hides that info from the unwashed by not putting out
decent man-pages.

I'm surprised you think that, because I find the systemd man-pages to
be excellent. Have you read them or is this hearsay?

I disagree loudly about that but the exclusion of
examples from manpages seems like an insidious attack on the users
intelligence.

…I'd guess hearsay because they have plenty of examples. A quick check shows
EXAMPLES sections in at least systemd.unit(5) and systemd.target(5).

I give you the present state of the docs for ip as an
example of how NOT to do a man page.

Much like the tool, I find it terrible. And not comparable to systemd's
man-pages at all. I quite look forward to whatever replaces "ip" (sooner
rather than later)

--

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Jonathan Dowland