Re: What is agetty, and why can't it be stopped?

One minor nit...

On 6/6/19 3:22 AM, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
Back then [TM], when we were young and handsome [1], a Unix
box had several terminals connected to it. Typically users
would show up at one of these terminals, perhaps hit ENTER,
and be presented with some greeting -- something like "Login:",
perhaps.

Entering user name and password gave the user an interactive
session, courtesy of a shell.

No longer so young, and never handsome, but still connecting to our servers via a terminal connection (SSH specifically).  Pretty common for servers - why bother with popping an X-window or other GUI for sys admin work.  Lots of getty instances running, sitting on network ports, just waiting for logins.

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown