Re: What is agetty, and why can't it be stopped?

agetty is "alternatative getty" - it's the terminal driver that listens on each terminal port

it's launched by init (or systemd), most likely in respawn mode - you'll need to find the init file (or systemd equivalent) that launches it, and change the config

do a "man getty" or "man agetty" and you should find what you need

Miles Fidelman