Re: Re: Debian standard installation media packages

Hi, thank you for the response.
> Which image exactly are you using ?
Please tell the download URL and a checksum after download (MD5 or some
SHA*).

This is the image I’m now using. (see note below at end of message re. Buster)
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/buster_di_rc1+nonfree/amd64/iso-dvd/

So, firstly, I made a mistake when I downloaded the image, I managed to overwrite the full DVD image with the netinst one (but kept the name), hence the missing packages - My mistake completely. I’m currently running Buster RC1 and the installed system works fine. ....But...
> But first you should try to find out why you don't get the software
of build-essential. Then you can ask the right questions about a remedy.

OK, I have a done a full install using the expert install method, selecting in this instance Gnome as a DE. I have also selected the standard utilities. There is no way in the installer to selecting anything else, apart from the various DE/WM builds, ‘print server’, ‘ssh server’ etc etc. There is no option to select ‘build-essential’ or ‘Development Tools’. The installer finished by installing ~1366 packages.
The installed system boots fine, I log in and do a 'dpkg -l’ to list all packages and there is no trace of any development tools. On my installed system I’m missing ‘g++’, ‘make’, ‘dpkg-dev’, ‘fakeroot’ and everything else associated with the ‘build-essential’ meta package. I don’t have any kernel headers either. I have ‘gcc-8-base’, but that is all in reference to build tools.
The 'build-essential’ package is on the install USB image, I just cannot find a way to install it directly to my machine without getting sucked into dependancy hell.

I still don’t understand why the installer won’t allow you to select ‘Development Tools’ as an option when you select packages? Surely it’s a key package to have if you don’t have net access while installing the OS? Is this to be taken up with the debian-cd list?

Anyhow, I sorted the install image so I can hopefully move forward now.

PS - The reason I’m using Buster and not 9.8/9.9 is the older installer on 9.8/9.9 gives an unreadable display on the HP 6470b laptop I’m installing on. On Buster I can pass ‘gfxpayload=keep’ in the grub command line and it allows for a readable display. This is a known issue with this older range of HP laptops.