Re: Replacing Pulseaudio with Alsa alone

On Wed, Jun 05, 2019 at 07:40:30AM +0100, Tixy wrote:
> On Tue, 2019-06-04 at 22:51 +0300, Georgi Naplatanov wrote:
> [...]
> > If you don't use PulseAudio then only one application can use an ALSA
> > device at the same time on your computer. Even some applications
> > support
> > PulseAudio only.
>
> Like Firefox, that was the reason I relented and installed Pulse Audio
> (to listen to online video).

See? I'm happy my browser has no sound, at last :-)

Thing is... if you ban pulseaudio, you should know that many "desktop
environments" and other so-called "modern" [1] software rely on it.
So you should know what you're doing or you should be willing to learn
things.

In that case, it can be quite rewarding.

In a nutshell, I'd say: if you want to *just* use your distribution
as a tool that Just Works (TM) and tend to opt for "the defaults",
just use PulseAudio. If you want to tinker and learn (which doesn't
mean that your distro will be useless!), dropping one or two of these
migth be a rewarding avenue.

Thanks to Debian and to all of you hard-working DDs and other Debian
folks for making both avenues possible! [2]

Cheers

[1] The problem with "modern" is that it carries with itself a value
   judgement, as a stowaway, so to speak. If you ain't "modern", you're
   a luddite or something. That kind of thing makes communication hard.
   It's difficult to listen, with all that shouting.

[2] I know, I know. I repeat myself. Must be an age thing. Apologies.

-- tomás