Date format for Thunderbird 60.7 -- partial success in changing it

The latest version of Thunderbird for Debian Stretch, 70.7 which I now
use, still allows only the US date format, MM-DD-YYYY, but for me at
least expresses the time as HH:MM (24 hour clock).  In a partially
successful attempt to change the date format I did the following.

1. Ran update-locales 'LC_Time=en_DK.UTF-8'; file /etc/default/locale
now reads as follows:
	LANG="en_CA.UTF-8"
	LANGUAGE="en_CA:en"
	LC_TIME=en_DK.UTF-8,
hereby confirming that en_DK.UTF-8 is my system wide time default.

2. 'Date and Time Formatting' options at 'Edit->Preferences->Advanced'
originally read as follows:

	o Application locale: English (United States)
	o Regional settings locale: English (Denmark)

The second of the two options was the default selection.  I tried both
options and then rebooted.  The result however the same; the date/time
format was MM-DD-YYYY HH:MM, the useual US date format, but the time in
24 hour format.

3.  Next, in file prefs.js (Edit->Preferences->Advanced->Config Editor)
I changed line 'intl.accept.languages' to read 'en-DK,en' instead of
'en-US,en'. Those two lines then read as follows:

	o Application locale: und [whatever that means]
 	o Regional settings locale: English (Denmark) [no change]

Both options changed the desired date format to the SI standard
YYYY-MM-DD. However the time instead, of being HH:MM as before (24 hour
clock), was now a twelve hour clock format, complete with a.m. and p.m.
after the time as appropriate.

So, by exchanging the date format to the one I wanted I am forced to
have to put up with a retrograde format for the time.  While this result
is not completely satisfactory I reluctantly find the the price for the
SI date format in exchange for the retrograde time format worth paying.

In order to have both the date and time formats conform to the SI
standard, I tried one other change in the pref.js file, this time in
'extensions.superDateFormat.dateFormat" which had the following
date/time setup: "%Y-%m-%d %R', This format would be the correct one for
both time and date: YYYY-MM-DD 00:00, the latter in 24 hour format.  As
%r however is the symbol for 12 hour clock time, I exchanged the %R for
%H:%M.  The time still stayed at 12 hour.

Can anyone advise me as to how to have both the date and time formats
conform to the SI standard, or any other way to work around this
particular fault of Thunderbird 60.7?

Ken