Re: Replacing Pulseaudio with Alsa alone

Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> writes:

> Kaj Persson wrote:
>> I am running Debian 9 Stretch. After the OS install the Pulseaudio is by
>> default the standard audio system with Alsa as the executor. Which is the
>> best strategy to remove Pulseaudio and instead letting Alsa be the one and
>> only audio system? Are there any serious disadvantages doing so?
>
> There is one serious disadvantage: Firefox doesn't support audio
> in any other way except PulseAudio.
>
> If you don't care about that, then you can certainly play music,
> record audio, and otherwise do normal audio-related things
> through ALSA.

I got shot of PulseAudio more than a year ago because of serious sound
latency issues (700-1200+ms in VirtualBox/WinXP for some old games I
love).  Using plain ALSA fixed that.

I had already switched to Palemoon as a browser (other problems with
Firefox - not audio relevant) at that point, and now also use Waterfox,
and have not missed PulseAudio or Firefox at all.  As I type this, I am
listening to Saint-Saëns Symphony No 3 on YouTube using Waterfox with no
problems whatsoever.

I don't know of any other desktop applications that actually need
PulseAudio and can't think of any disadvantage(s) to removing it.

Regards,

Joe Dennigan

--
“Blood sacrifices keep the planet from eating your feet”
                  -- Red