Re: How to reinstall without loosing configurations?

On 6/2/19 9:56 AM, Aldo Maggi wrote:
Last time I've reinstalled was in 2005 after a failure of Jfs (luckily
I had the backup of my files), from them on I've just kept updating and
upgrading.
It is a couple of years, though, that some programs do not work
properly, for instance Firefox (doesn't keep the correct spacing
between lines, etc.), Thunderbird (in most threads doesn't show images.
etc.), so I've started privileging Chromium and Evolution, but, as from
about six months, the former doesn't open anymore some pages so I've
installed Falkon which, as far as I know, uses the same engine as
Chromium, but opens the pages that Chromium doesn't!!!

Though Linux and particularly Debian are very good in providing proper
updating, I start thinking that maybe something left behind in the
process, piling up during the years is creating such inconveniences, so
I've decided to reinstall my Debian.

I have been using "testing" since Sarge without having any major
problem, but I've noticed that reinstalling is more difficult now than
it used to be at the beginning of the new millennium, at that time I
would have used dpkg --get-selections and in the new partition dpkg --
set-selections and afterwards I'd have copied some dotfiles but reading
in various forums seems that now everything is more complicated.

Is there anyone who would advise me about the best way for having in
another partition a new Debian (same pkgs as I have here) and the
configurations I have (for instance, I'm wary of loosing control of my
home server through Xephyr which took me a lot of time to configure,
obviously I can do it via ssh but it is not the same thing, etc) .

Thank you in advance,

Aldo :-)

Put your modified configuration files and key data files into a version control system. Validate.

Back up all configuration files and all data.  Validate.

Take an image of your system drive.

Disconnect all HDD's and/or SSD's.

Check motherboard firmware.  Update if necessary.

Install a new system drive. Use the manufacturer's diagnostic tool to check the new system drive. If it is okay, use the diagnostic to zero/ secure delete the drive.

Do a fresh install of your chosen OS. Before rebooting the first time, shutdown and take an image of new system drive.

Update the operating system, if needed.

Check out your old configuration and data files into a working directory. From this point forward, check in anything you create , update, delete. Add anything you think might be important.

Reconnect data drive(s).

Install and/or set up one package at a time. Merge your old configuration and data into the new layout. Validate each item as you go.

Configure backups for new system.  Backup.  Validate.

Take image of system drive.

David