Re: Using ISO image of installer DVD as repository - How?

On Fri 31 May 2019 at 08:30:35 -0400, Dan Ritter wrote:

> Richard Owlett wrote:
> > With the first DVD of Debian 9.8.0 I did:
> >    dd if=/dev/cdrom of=dvd.iso bs=4M
> > I edited sources.list to read
> >    deb file:///home/richard/dvd.iso stretch main contrib trusted=yes
> >
> > When running Synaptic's
> >     Edit->Reload Package Information
> > I receive an error message:
> > > The repository 'file:/home/richard/dvd.iso stretch Release'
> > > does not have a Release file.
> >
> > What is the problem?
>
> The problem is that the .iso is not a mounted filesystem.

Indeed.

> You could:
>
> $ mkdir /home/richard/dvdmount
> $ sudo mount /home/richard/dvd.iso /home/richard/dvdmount

That command leaves users without root privileges out in the cold.
udevil is one remedy on the command line to stop them shivering.

Along the same lines - I imagine a modern DE can mount an ISO for a
user without the need for her to become root.

--
Brian.