Re: lightweight wifi UI (Was: Insidious systemd)

Patrick Bartek <nemommxiv@gmail.com>
>On Mon, 27 May 2019 21:00:36 -0400 (EDT)
>bw <bwtnguy@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> >Based on my past experiences and research with systemd, I now
>> >always have do simulated installs with everything just to be sure
>> >nothing untoward happens.  The Subject Title was appropriate.
>>
>> Patrick, I've seen some baloney in my day, but that prose takes the
>cake.
>> I think you're full of crap, but you could prove me wrong sort of
>> something like this:
>>
>> $ apt -s install sysvinit-core wicd
>> [snip]
>
>Unapplicable in my case: sysvinit conversion done a year ago.
>
>For the Doubting Thomas that your are, the output of my simulated
>install -- the salient portions I spoke of highlighted.

>******************************
>
>root@debian9:/home/patrick# apt -s install wicd
>Reading package lists... Done
>Building dependency tree
>Reading state information... Done
>The following additional packages will be installed:
>  dbus-user-session gconf2 gcr gksu gnome-keyring libgck-1-0
>libgcr-3-common libgcr-base-3-1 libgcr-ui-3-1 libgksu2-0
>libgnome-keyring-common libgnome-keyring0 libgtop-2.0-10
>libgtop2-common libpam-gnome-keyring net-tools p11-kit p11-kit-modules
>pinentry-gnome3 python-gobject python-notify python-wicd rfkill
>systemd-sysv wicd-daemon wicd-gtk wireless-tools
> ^^^^^^^^^
>
>Suggested packages:
>  gconf-defaults-service pinentry-doc ethtool pm-utils
>
>The following packages will be REMOVED:
>  sysvinit-core
>     ^^^^^^^^
>The following NEW packages will be installed:
>  dbus-user-session gconf2 gcr gksu gnome-keyring libgck-1-0
>libgcr-3-common libgcr-base-3-1 libgcr-ui-3-1 libgksu2-0
>libgnome-keyring-common libgnome-keyring0 libgtop-2.0-10
>libgtop2-common libpam-gnome-keyring net-tools p11-kit p11-kit-modules
>pinentry-gnome3 python-gobject python-notify python-wicd rfkill
>systemd-sysv wicd wicd-daemon wicd-gtk wireless-tools
> ^^^^^^^^
>
>0 upgraded, 28 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
>
>Remv sysvinit-core [2.88dsf-59.9] [init:amd64 ]
>        ^^^^^^^^
>
>Inst systemd-sysv (232-25+deb9u11
>Debian:9.9/stable,Debian-Security:9/stable [amd64])
>      ^^^^^^^^^

In this case, since you allow recommends, it might be either gksu or some
other gnome dependency, or a missing systemd-shim pkg causing this.  Also,
some pkgs rely on either one or theother init, and systemd is default init
as I mentioned.  Nothing nefarious or insidiuous here from what I see.
Maybe you researched the negative opinions about systemd instead of how to
use it and what is required to replace it?

It's okay, I did that too.  I tried for a few months to avoid it.
Then finaly I decided the debian way was to try and help fix it, from
a user point of view...

Check it out is my advice, it's not nearly as bad as the devuan fanbois
claim it is.  I like forks and I'm glad sysV is still somewhat usable, but
I have heard threats for awhile now that the sustemd-shim might disappear,
which will maybe break support for many pkgs.

It's a good topic, if you think this is a bug, please report it.

good luck