Re: IPV6 hosts file (was: Re: That time IPv6 farted in Gene's church (Was Re: forcedeth?))

On Tuesday 28 May 2019 09:35:17 am Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 08:32:38AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Thats a piece of cake Reco. On a new install, set both the hostname
> > and the domainname, then add them, with the ipv4 net address into
> > the hosts file. Then make resolv.conf back into a real file, with 2
> > lines, one to set the nameservers address, [...]
>
> All good so far.
>
> > and one to set the search to look in hosts
> > first, if that fails send the dns request to the gateway, [...]
>
> We've been over this multiple times before, but apparently it bears
> repeating.
>
> There is nothing in resolv.conf that tells NSS whether to look in
> hosts first or in DNS first.  That functionality is in the
> /etc/nsswitch.conf file.
>
> The syntax you have described in past threads belonged in
> the /etc/host.conf file back in the 1990s.  See for example
> <https://www.tldp.org/LDP/nag/node82.html>:

All I know for sure is that networking doesn't get off the motherboard
without it. Wheezy or stretch doesn't make any diff. Stretch is a new
install on a new drive.

> A sample file for vlager is shown below:
>            # /etc/host.conf
>            # We have named running, but no NIS (yet)
>            order   bind hosts
>            # Allow multiple addrs
>            multi   on
>            # Guard against spoof attempts
>            nospoof on
>            # Trim local domain (not really necessary).
>            trim    vbrew.com.
>
> Somehow, you got things mixed up, and you included part of this syntax
> in your /etc/resolv.conf file, and convinced yourself that it was
> actually doing something.
>
> On modern Debian releases (yes, even wheezy) this functionality
> is in /etc/nsswitch.conf and the defaults work for almost
> everyone, so you probably never had to touch it.  See
> <http://manpages.debian.org/5/nsswitch.conf> for details.

> wooledg:~$ grep hosts /etc/nsswitch.conf
> hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns
>
> The "hosts" line in this file is what tells the system to look in
> "files" (/etc/hosts) first, and in "dns" last.
>
> /etc/resolv.conf simply configures how the "dns" lookup works.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)