Re: Why /usr/sbin is not in my root $PATH ?

Hello,

On Sun, May 26, 2019 at 07:41:41AM -0600, ghe wrote:
> On 2/21/19 11:12 AM, ghe wrote:
>
> > Another Busterism, BTW: ping now requires root privileges. It does on my
> > computer, anyway. Maybe I made a mistake when I installed -- somebody
> > sure did.
>
> Fix: 'alias ping="sudo ping"' in .bashrc. I'm on Buster too :-)

After a normal install, /bin/ping should end up with the
capabilities such that it can do what it needs to do. These are:

$ getcap /bin/ping
/bin/ping = cap_net_raw+ep

If yours has not ended up with those capabilities, I think that is a
bug in whatever method of install you have used.

Glenn, and Andrei, do you do anything out of the ordinary to
install?

Myself I have seen this happen when untarring the operating system
as by default tar does not store or re-apply such capabilities.

Cheers,
Andy