Re: [DNG] Linux system can be brought down by sending SIGILL to Systemd

On 2019-05-25 08:25, Reco wrote:

again no problem here.

Stretch's systemd:

# kill -ILL 1
Message from syslogd@xxx at May 25 10:19:09 ...
 systemd[1]: Caught <ILL>, dumped core as pid 822.
systemd[1]: Freezing execution.

The userspace and the kernel will work after this, but anything that's
related to systemd (including poweroff and shutdown) just hangs.

Seems harmless to me as one needs to be root to send signals to PID 1.

If you are going to kill off processes as root I'd expect things to be unhappy. I once accidentally removed everything from / down and that stopped it working as well.

mick

--
Key ID    4BFEBB31