Re: Debian 10 user accounts

On Thu, 2019-05-23 at 20:07 +0100, Brian wrote:
> On Thu 23 May 2019 at 18:47:48 +0100, Paul Sutton wrote:
> Is this how it is meant to do things, or have I missed a step
> > somewhere ?
>
> Being obliged to use sudo? No.

	I feel I should point out, though, that there are a number of
advantages to this approach. Using sudo instead of logging in as root
(or rather using su to get access to a root prompt) is a safer approach
since it adds a layer of insurance against "accidents", not to mention
every command is logged (which is good in any case, but mandatory in
case of multi-user systems), avoids using the root shell and is overall
safer agains hacking/cracking.

Interesting reads:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/291454/difference-between-sudo-user-and-root-user

http://www.linuxscrew.com/2007/10/11/why-use-sudo-instead-of-su/