Re: bind gets permission errors in buster--systemd-related?

On 5/15/19, Ross Boylan <rossboylan@stanfordalumni.org> wrote:
> I have a new buster system with a bind setup based on (much) older*
> systems, on which it worked fine.  On buster, it doesn't.
> In two different places in my configuration I referred to files or
> directories that were outside of bind proper, and in both cases this
> failed with permission problems.
> I'm pretty sure bind is running under systemd, and have seen various
> references to systemd limiting access to the file system.  However, I
> don't see anything that appears to be requesting such limits for
> bind9, or in general.  /var is a different partition from /, and I
> configured bind to run as an ordinary user.
>
> Any ideas what's going on, or what I can do to fix it?

You're not showing file or directory permissions, so it's hard to guess.
The way I fixed my permission problems after telling bind to log to a
file instead of syslog was
  su -
to become root
  su bind
which didn't work because
  # grep bind /etc/passwd
  bind:x:116:119::/var/cache/bind:/bin/false
so edit /etc/passwd and change '/bin/false' to '/bin/sh'
  su bind
then worked, so
  /usr/sbin/named -g
to see all the errors.  Adjust permissions, start bind as a daemon and
edit /etc/passwd to change '/bin/sh' back to '/bin/false'

Regards,
Lee