Re: Configure your PC to contribute to Debian community

Vipul wrote:
> I've been using Debian from couples of years but haven't contributed yet b=
> ack to community. I want to contribute to Debian by maintaining packages a=
> nd fixing bugs. Since I'm using Debian for work purpose also so, I don't w=
> ant to mess-up=C2=A0 with my system by installing unstable packages or lib=
> raries. Is there a way to get isolation for work & contribution purpose to=
>  keep yourself organized?=C2=A0
>=C2=A0 =C2=A0 I can get isolation by using Docker image or install one mor=
> e copy of Debian in PC and switch between them but that would be painful. =
> I want to hear from contributors & maintainers Which method they are using=
>  or prefer to get isolation?
>
> Sorry, if this a wrong place to ask this question, then where should I ask=
> ?
> PS: I'm not subscribed to this mailing.

  i don't reply to people so perhaps you may see this reply,
but for those who do see it.

  i think the easiest way if you are setting up a new machine
is to partition the disk or to add another disk which can be
selected by the BIOS or UEFI to boot.  works, isn't too
complicated and can be isolated via what partitions are
mounted or ignored by each booting setup.

  VMs and booting from USB storage or other means can work
too, but i am a firm believer in that keeping something
simple is well worth it if the complexity isn't needed
for some other purpose.

  given that 2nd generation hardware is often not that
expensive i'd really consider getting a development
machine if i were concerned i could not keep my work
machine suitably isolated (i would not want the risk
myself so i would get a 2nd machine if i had work
responsibilities - $100-200 can get a pretty decent
system these days).

  songbird