Re: Trouble making bootable USB from ISO image

On 2019-05-06, Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org> wrote:
> On Sat, May 04, 2019 at 09:54:52AM -0000, Curt wrote:
>> I'm intervening here merely to point out that just because the user's
>> external usb device is auto-mounted does not mean that said device
>> cannot be unmounted by the usual methods (at least I have yet to
>> encounter Greg Wooledge's auto-mounter from Hell that will not permit
>> it).
>
> I never said anything about not being able to unmount.

Actually, you said:

 You need the device NOT to be mounted when you do the cp.  This may mean
 you have to turn off your auto-mounter, ...

I inferred from this you felt that in some instances auto-mounting would
preclude any subsequent unmounting, failing to conceive of another
reason the radical measure of disabling automounting entirely would be
required to ensure it.

 or (better still) just log out of your Desktop Environment entirely,
 and log in as root on a text console for this operation.

Root? Première nouvelle!