Re: Buster boot failed on Thinkpad P52 after installing GDM3

On 5/5/19 3:29 PM, John Mok wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to install Buster with GDM3 on Thinkpad P52 :-
>
> Buster with minimal installation
>
>> apt-get install gdm3
>
> The system failed to boot with the following error messages :-
>
> error: file `/i386-pc/all_video.mod' not found
> error: file `/i386-pc/gzio.mod' not found
> error: file `/i386-pc/part_msdos.mod' not found
> error: file `/i386-pc/ext2.mod' not found
> error: invalid file name `P[F`gLF/i386-pc/echo,mod'.
> error: invalid file name `@/XF`gLF/i386-pc/linux,mod'.
> error: invalid file name `P[F`gLF/i386-pc/echo,mod'.
> error: invalid file name `?9XF`gLF/i386-pc/linux,mod'.
>
> Press any key to continue...
>
> I hope someone could point me the solution (dmesg attached).

Hi John,

probably booting issue is somewhere else, not in GDM.

I'm not sure which package has given these error messages but if it was
GRUB, just try to reinstall it. Even you can try to install EFI version
of GRUB.

By the way it seems that GDM has a bug in Buster so if you are a GNOME
user then you can consider to use LightDM

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?archive=no&bug=897975

Kind regards
Georgi