Re: Is Debian 9 supposed to work on a Geode?

Björn Persson wrote:

> bw wrote:
>> Before you dump it, I'd sure confirm the situation, document the flags
>> and file a bug against the release notes, so maybe that can get fixed in
>> buster release notes?
>
> I filed this bug report:
>
> Björn Persson

Have you tried command line init=/lib/sysvinit/init? This is to rule out
systemd

Next thing I would do is try boot from usb - I do not see in the log
assignment to the disk, so I suspect the hard drive is not assigned
properly and can not be accessed - are you booting from a card, or disk or
usb? What if you try to disable pata_amd?

[    6.114215] ata1: PATA max UDMA/100 cmd 0x1f0 ctl 0x3f6 bmdma 0xe000 irq
14
[    6.156075] ata2: PATA max UDMA/100 cmd 0x170 ctl 0x376 bmdma 0xe008 irq
15
[    6.407833] ata1.00: supports DRM functions and may not be fully
accessible
[    6.449569] ata1.00: ATA-9: Samsung SSD 850 PRO 1TB, EXM02B6Q, max
UDMA/133
[    6.491306] ata1.00: 2000409264 sectors, multi 1: LBA48 NCQ (depth 0/32)

and nothing like sda or hda.

In my case exactly this was the problem, so I had to enable old drivers for
hdd in combination with libata so that it might work - took me ages to find
out, but you have a newer generation, could be different, although
Processor family (Geode GX/LX)  is the same - it says "Select this for AMD
Geode GX and LX processors.".

<*> ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support (DEPRECATED)  --->
        <*>   generic ATA/ATAPI disk support
        [*]     ATA disk support

        [*]   legacy /proc/ide/ support

        <M>   Cyrix/National Semiconductor CS5530 MediaGX chipset support

I could give you the kernel packages if you wish, but can not guarantee, it
would work.
If you can tell what is your chipset - I could let it configure and compile,
if you wish.

Another option is that you miss something in the initrd - if you can enter
initrd (init=/bin/sh) and debug would be a +.

regards