Re: Is Debian 9 supposed to work on a Geode?

On Thu 02 May 2019 at 15:27:30 +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> Quoting Björn Persson (2019-05-02 15:04:53)
> > bw wrote:
> > > Before you dump it, I'd sure confirm the situation, document the
> > > flags and file a bug against the release notes, so maybe that can
> > > get fixed in buster release notes?
> >
> > I filed this bug report:
> > https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=928340
>
> Great, detailed yet precise bugreport!
>
> I sincerely hope the response won't the equivalent of "whoops too bad,
> train left the station a bit too early but is now gone...!"

Ben Hutchings replies:

  > The Geode LX's CPUID has family=5 (586), but I agree with your
  > understanding that it has all the important features of a 686 and
  > should still be supported.  In fact, I've specifically enabled
  > continued support for it in the current (buster/sid) 686 kernel
  > configuration.
  >
  > I'm afraid I don't have any immediate ideas for how to fix or debug
  > this.

>From my point of view (as I have said before) debugging would involve
installing to a USB stick. There is nothing to lose by trying this.

In #917569

Francesco Poli treats upgrading one buster Soekris net5501 installation
to another one. This implies he might very well have been running that
device on stretch. Or, for that matter, running on a previous buster.

I have previously found Francesco to be very co-operative, so I have put
him in a Cc:.

--
Brian.