Re: Is there a way to install Debian iso's from an existing installation onto a USB connected drive?

On Thu, May 02, 2019 at 03:12:46PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

[...]

> There is a cargo cult preaching the use of "dd" but that tool is like
> cutting trees with scissors: The wrong tool for the job!

No cargo cult at all. Each tool has its advantages. The two I appreciate
in dd are:

 - status=progress -- indicates how far the copy is.
 - oflag=direct and siblings, which let you fine-tune when
   to flush out stuff (mitigating the long wait at the
   end where the system seems to be doing nothig)

There sure others. There are downsides to it, as well...

Cheers
-- t