Re: System warning that "/var" is almost full

Esteban L <esteban@little-beak.com> writes:

> >From command line: /var# du -h --max-depth=1
> 1.8G	./lib
> 4.0K	./local
> 2.7M	./tmp
> 16K	./lost+found
> 44K	./snap
> 6.3G	./cache
> 4.0K	./opt
> 56K	./spool
> 4.0K	./mail
> 8.2M	./backups
> 139M	./log
> 8.2G	.
>
> So, my backups seems to be causing the main issue, followed closely by
> the cache.

I don't know whether you have different output, but by my reading,
‘backups’ (8.2MiB) is significantly smaller than ‘lib’ (1.8GiB) which is
smaller again than ‘cache’ (6.3GiB).

You can see them sorted by size with:

    $ du --max-depth=1 /var | sort --numeric-sort

The ‘-h’ (‘--human-readable’) is useful as its name implies; but it has
the disadvantage of being difficult to visually compare between lines.
Better to use absolute numbers if you want to compare accurately.

--
 \           “'Tis strange, — but true; for truth is always strange; / |
  `\    Stranger than fiction.” —“Lord” George Gordon Noel Byron, _Don |