Re: Is Debian 9 supposed to work on a Geode?

Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> Yes, if you want to continue use Debian then should indeed look for
> replacement: Geode CPUs is clearly on its way out (if it hasn't happened
> already - posibly by accident).

I would say here unfortunately.

> As others write, you obviously have the alternative of deviating from
> Debian - either by using packages provided by others or local
> recompilations of your own.  Beware that it quite likely involves not
> only kernel but also other packages.

Kernel is a must for sure, but packages ... it depends on how they utilize
i686 features. For my usecase I relay on kernel features (iptables, aes,
tun) and all of them are provided. The OPs case might be different though

> Most but not all areas that Geode CPUs previously covered, nowadays is
> covered by ARM SoCs.  You may find this useful:
> https://wiki.debian.org/CheapServerBoxHardware

The advantage of Geode is that it is 386 - it is easy to
compile/develop/maintain. And thank you for the link BTW - I wish I have
seen this 15y ago :)

regards