Re: Obtaining/compiling/installing python3.7

On 4/26/19, Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 12:42:04 -0500
> Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
>
>> I wish to try some beta software which assumes python3.7 is
>> installed. I have Debian 9.8 installed on a machine dedicated to this
>> exercise. I did a web search and got a half dozen on topic hits.
>> There were enough differences that I wasn't sure if I was missing
>> something important. The last time I compiled something was on a PDP
>> 11/45 in approximately 1975.
>>

> You mentioned that you considered LFS. If you have the time, that's
> a real baptism of fire as far as compiling things goes. There were
> automatic systems being developed when I was interested, but as far as
> I can see, there's no point to LFS if you're just going to push a
> button. I did it twice, mainly to learn what I could, with better
> understanding the second time, the first try was basically just
> following instructions. Lots of them. My firewall pseudo-daemon (until
> systemd) was nicked from the basic LFS init script.

Just finished downloading all [tarballs], except maybe 1/2 of the
kernel, just last night. This is Round 2 for me. I got through Chapter
5 then #Life poked its nose into the mix.

Oh, and I just remembered... my brain blew a circuit over working
through the package manager process, too. I think of that frequently
when package manager questions come up here at Debian-User..

The testing part will be where I focus my curiosity this time. Do the
tests, yada-yada, keep on movin' on WHEN they fail. LOL. My memory is
that some of the "it's ok to fail" was that we hadn't installed
pertinent packages yet so there was no way it would ever not fail.

That repetition helps instill each point in the
compilation/installation process. The mantra back in early 2000's was,
"Eh, it's ok not to test, just keep going" That was talking about
compiling a single package on a pre-existing system.

If you follow the Linux From Scratch support list, you see why it's
not so ok. Occasional related user questions show typos and such would
have absolutely destroyed those users' entire install, thus wasting a
TON of time, had they either skipped testing or had they failed a test
and kept going anyway instead of questioning what failed. :)

Makes you a better advocate for doing things the right way.. I never
once md5sum'ed ANYTHING *ALL THESE YEARS*. As simple as the process
turned out to be, I could never find a HOWTO that made sense.

These days, that md5ums list is serving double duty by performing the
chore of instantly advising if packages are expired and need updated
simply because they don't get checked off as OK. Match any fails to
that HANDY wget-list that's also provided, and, chick-a-BOOM, you're
off and running toward Linux knowledge self-empowerment just that
quick (depending on Internet connection speed, of course.... of
course). :)

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey