Re: Synaptic error message -- how to respond

On Thu 25 Apr 2019 at 04:40:12 (-0500), Richard Owlett wrote:

> > > Try rearranging your python(s) in your PATH.  I.e., swap py2 with py3.

It's certainly worth checking the $PATH but python shouldn't be in it.
It may be worth moving one's own bin to the end if at the beginning.
(I prefer not to override the system's binaries.)

> > > Or possibly your py3 version needs to be downgraded.

No, don't do that. Python versions 2 and 3 work alongside each other.
They have to: the system relies on python2, and most modern software
is written for python3. I would have a job remembering now how to
write in python2 now, even though all the paid work I ever did was
in the days of 2.

> > > Something about your python versions.
> >
> > ConfigParser module has been revamped and renamed to configparser in Python 3.

Agreed, it does look as though the python version are screwed up.

> Knowing the history of this machine, this may just the tip of an
> iceberg.

Be reassured: we do not, and probably never will.

> I've a set of Debian 9.8 DVDs and generous amount of free
> disk space. It may be a time saver to do a fresh install. At least I
> would have a install in a known state.

And learn nothing about what it was you did wrong.

Cheers,
David.