Re: Nvidia firmwares

Le 19/04/2019 à 19:38, Erwan David a écrit :

I run testing.

Each time update-initramfs is run I get following messages

W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nvidia/gv100/sec2/sig.bin for
module nouveau
(...)
There are nvidia firmwares in the package firmware-misc-nonfree but no
gv100 directory. Where do those messages come from

They come from update-initramfs trying to add all firmwares referenced by kernel modules included in the initramfs, when some of them are not installed. It does not mean that your hardware needs any of these missing firmwares.

and what should I do
about them (I use the nvidia drivers not nouveau)
However it appears that update-initramfs wants to include nouveau in the initramfs. This is new to me : up to Stretch the initramfs did not include graphic driver modules by default (unless you force them in /etc/initramfs-tools/modules).

Anyway if you use nvidia then nouveau should be blacklisted, so you can ignore the warning safely. It would be best to prevent nouveau from being included in the initramfs, but I don't know how to do it.