Re: Accessing a host with variable IP addresses / connection types

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 20:45:54 +0200
Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote:

> Le 16/04/2019 à 17:03, Celejar a écrit :
> >
> > What I seem to want (but maybe XY?) is some way to adjust the host
> > files (or dnsmasq's information) so that the hostname will resolve to
> > the LAN address when the laptop is connected to the LAN, and the VPN
> > address when it's connected via VPN. [...]
> > What is a standard, 'correct' way to do this, or
> > more generally, to enable the LAN hosts to access the laptop
> > seamlessly regardless of its IP address and connection type?
>
> Dynamic DNS.

Thanks. I thought of that, but I'm going to need more explanation and
help. I understand that I can use something like nsupdate to update DNS
records, but then I'd need to install and configure a compatible DNS
server - the one I currently use, dnsmasq, apparently doesn't support
RFC 2136 updates. Is there something I'm missing?

Additionally, I'm using simple hostnames, not FQDN names. Will that
still work with dynamic DNS?

Celejar