Re: New dual boot laptop: Best file system for a USB live image for installation?

On Sat, 2019-04-13 at 08:26 +0200, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> Le 12/04/2019 à 22:25, Thomas D Dial a écrit :
> > I let the installer partition the USB key that was the install
> > target
> > and picked LVM, but specified distinct /, /usr/, /var, /home, and
> > swap
>
> Why did you create a distinct volume for /usr ?

A (now) bad habit brought forward from 20+ year old HP-UX admin
experience.

> > partitions and left some empty space within the LVM volume group.
> > The
> > installer offers a number of other options.
>
> The guided partitioning options do not offer to leave some empty
> space
> for future use in the volume group, making them mostly useless IMO.

This is an excellent point. An LVM volume group without free space isn't
a lot better than a full physical disk. I don't use guided partitioning
at install because it fills the disk and the volume group and because I
don't think I need the several hundred GB /home that I recall it will
set up on the large disk or SSDs we have now.

Regards,
Tom Dial