Re: Simple Linux to Linux(Debian) email

On Fri, 2019-04-12 at 00:42 +0900, Mark Fletcher wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 09, 2019 at 02:34:30AM +0200, Jan Claeys wrote:
> > Why not use a dynamic DNS provider?
> >

> Primarily because it wouldn't solve my problem. IIUC it would allow
> me to map a domain name to the IP address assigned to my home
> internet connection. That means that when the IP address assigned to
> my internet connection changes, I can simply alter the mapping and my
> VPN clients start working again, without any configuration change on
> them.
> Great, but that isn't the problem. The problem is how I know that the
> IP address has changed and hence the DNS mapping needs updating. I
> don't see any way that a dynamic DNS service is going to know when my
> ISP arbitrarily re-assigns my IP. I need the machine that is being
> assigned the IP address to be able to tell me when it changes, and
> that is what  this thread was about (specifically the "how it would
> be able to tell me" -- I'd figured out the "how it would know" for
> myself).

Many routers know how to update popular dynamic DNS providers when the
WAN IP address changes.  If your router can't do this, or your computer
is connected to the internet directly, then there are also several
utilities which can do this in the Debian repositories.

--
Jan Claeys

(please don't CC me when replying to the list)