Re: ntfs-3g - mounting as normal user?

	Hi.

On Tue, Apr 09, 2019 at 04:13:15PM +0200, Hans wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I am not sure, but when I want to mount a ntfs-filesystem using ntfs-3g, I
> always need to input the password of root.
>
> According to the manual, if ntfs-3g is setuid-root, it shall allow normal
> users to mount ntfs-files.

It does for me:

$ dd if=/dev/zero of=1.raw bs=1024 count=0 seek=10240
$ /sbin/mkfs.ntfs -F 1.raw
Creating NTFS volume structures.
mkntfs completed successfully. Have a nice day.
$ ntfs-3g 1.raw .fuse
$ mount
...1.raw on .../.fuse type fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime...)

> So, I have rwsr-xr-x with owner root:root, which IMO should do the trick, but
> still asking for the password.

Your user does have read-write access to the underlying block device,
its not it?

> However, I remember dark, there was something with "hardcoded in ntfs-3g",
> which does this no more let work. This was years ago and I only remember weak.

That only applies if:

a) ntfs-3g is suid root-owned binary.
b) ntfs-3g uses 'external' libfuse.so (i.e. dynamic link to a library).

But they build ntfs-3g with '--with-fuse=internal' flag, so last one
should not apply.

Reco