Re: OpenSSH not closing idle sessions.

On Mon 08 Apr 2019 at 13:39:36 (-0400), Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 08, 2019 at 12:25:28PM -0500, timothylegg wrote:
> > I need to have the session expire and the ssh client terminate after
> > an idle time.
>
> Most people want the exact opposite of that.
>
> Basically, what you're asking for is directly hostile to any kind of
> sane operation of a computer.

The first thought that crossed my mind when I read the OP was a
teletype clattering out the message "FIVE MINUTE WARNING".
Expiration was, of course, standard practice when interactive sessions
were a scarce resource that required reclaiming after, say, ten
minutes of inactivity. How times change.

Of course we all hated it. One of the advantages of the old KSR33s
was this audible wake-up call when debugging was taking a little
longer than you expected. After they were replaced by "glass"
teletypes, you'd turn your attention back to the screen only to
find ten minutes had passed and you were logged off. With something
like four times as many terminals as sessions, it could take a while
to get back on at busy times of the day.

Cheers,
David.