Re: Measuring (or calculating) how many bytes are actually written to disk when I repeatedly save a file

On Monday, April 08, 2019 09:41:10 AM Alexander V. Makartsev wrote:

> There are NVMe drives and SSDs intended to be used in servers with high

> workloads like cache storage. These server grade drives must be rated

> for at least 3 DWPD (Drive Writes Per Day) or more.

Thanks! I really hadn't encountered the acronym NVMe before.

Looking at some (e.g., by description "SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2 2280 512GB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe 1.3 64L V-NAND 2-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V7P512BW") seem to be the older style of SSD technology (V-NAND 2-bit MLC) which might be a little more reliable (though more expensive), than

some others which use the 3-D NAND technology, which presumably has about the same longevity / reliability as devices labeled as SSDs which use the 3-D NAND technology -- so I guess I have to be careful in how I shop (which is always the case, anyway).

Two links, both in the same ballpark pricewise:

* [[https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147693][SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2 2280 512GB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe 1.3 64L V-NAND 2-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V7P512BW]]

* [[https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-SN750-NVMe-Internal-Gaming/dp/B07M64QXMN?tag=pcworld02-20&psc=1&ascsubtag=US-001-2899351-000-1442373-web-20][WD BLACK SN750 1TB NVMe Internal Gaming SSD - Gen3 PCIe, M.2 2280, 3D NAND - WDS100T3X0C]]

And thanks for the explanation / clarification on some of the terminology: