Re: Measuring (or calculating) how many bytes are actually written to disk when I repeatedly save a file

Hi,

On Apr/06/2019, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

> Can anyone confirm that, and, if so, suggest any way of measuring how much is
> written to a given file in a given time period (e.g., per day)?
>
> I guess at a very deep level (I mean like at the level of the disk firmware or
> driver level), this may differ between an SSD and an HDD -- if you have any
> insight into that, I'd appreciate that.

In my SSDs I have:
/sys/fs/ext4/dm-0/lifetime_write_kbytes

I'm not sure if this is specific for SSD? But if this was available in
your existing hardware would help you to answer some of your questions.

Cheers,

--
Carles Pina i Estany
	GPG Key 0x8CD5C157