Re: Measuring (or calculating) how many bytes are actually written to disk when I repeatedly save a file

On 07.04.19 08:12, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> Sorry, I should have tried to be more clear -- sort of a digression, but I
> came from an environment where anytime someone used the word assume, someone
> else would point out what (they thought) that meant (it makes an ass out of
> [yo]u and me).

Not the boys in blue, by any chance? Station sergeants tend to plant
that lesson early in a rookie's consciousness, I hear.

> I still use the word, but use the "(I know)" as a defensive mechanism to stave
> off the expected response.

Given that the implication of "assume" is to take something on faith,
without supporting evidence, a safer word might be "surmise". A guess
with an implication of thoughtful deliberation behind it leaves little
for the overly opinionated to gnaw on.

Erik