Re: Measuring (or calculating) how many bytes are actually written to disk when I repeatedly save a file

On 2019-04-07, Curt <curty@free.fr> wrote:
> On 2019-04-06, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> 2. A lot of my editing involves editing near (but not at) the end of
>>> a file.  I assume (I know) that the software that saves the file is
>>> smart enough not to rewrite the entire file but instead to preserve
>>> the beginning of the file and just rewrite the changed part of the
>>> file (or from there to the end of the file).
>>
>> Not completely sure if "you assume" or "you know" it to be the case.
>> Especially given that you then add:
>
> He assumes he knows, I guess.
>
> It might be pertinent for us to know what "the software" is exactly. At
> any rate, why anyone would write "the software" rather the name of the
> application involved defies my imaginative faculty.

I probably should've have said name or nature of the software involved
(and cover the case where it's some sort of home-brew thing with no
denomination, or an obscure proprietary app whose name wouldn't mean
anything to anybody, or God knows what).

--
“Let us again pretend that life is a solid substance, shaped like a globe,
which we turn about in our fingers. Let us pretend that we can make out a plain