Re: 'synaptic' removed from buster

On Sat, 2019-04-06 at 19:56 +1100, David wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Apr 2019 at 19:08, Curt <curty@free.fr> wrote:
> > My impression from my general reading here is quite a few people
> > rely on
> > the synaptic package manager. I use apt-get; it's pie-like
> > simplicity
> > comforts me.
>
> Speaking in very broad terms to make a general and somewhat
> obvious point, we could say that Gnome and synaptic are examples of
> tools written by experts to assist lower-expertise users.
>
> It follows that most more-expert users (apart from the developers)
> tend
> not to use these kind of tools themselves. So support channels like
> this one
> and IRC tend to lack people who are able to answer questions based
> on their own use of these tools, because they don't use, or even care
> about, these kind of tools.
>
> I have seen this in IRC. People join there to ask questions
> about Gnome for example, but no-one providing support in the
> channel is actually using Gnome themselves, because they prefer more
> sophisticatedenvironments, even though it's the default GUI for
> Debian
> that all the newbie questioners are using.
>
> Newbie asks "how do I do X in Gnome" ... and no-one there knows the
> answer :)
> This might be less of an issue in other distros than it is in Debian.
>
> > Thing is, beyond its innate and fundamental heresy (a gui app
> > running as
> > root!), synaptic is the only GUI package manager available in
> > Debian
> > AFAIK (I'm uncertain whether kpackage is defunct or not).
>
> If I understand correctly, Reco mentioned another one earlier in the
> thread ...
>
> On Fri, 5 Apr 2019 at 00:02, Reco <recoverym4n@enotuniq.net> wrote:
> > The *unofficial* one is the existence of "gnome-packagekit". The
> > thing
> > needs users, and this is one of the ways of getting them.
>
> https://packages.debian.org/buster/gnome-packagekit
> https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-packagekit/stable/intro.html.en
>
> I know nothing about it, I never tried it :)
> I prefer using shell tools for package management.
>
> I certainly do use some GUI tools. 'meld' for example, for side-by-
> side
> diffs. If that was dropped from buster then I would notice :)

Lets take a look at installing gnome-packagekit and dependencies in
Buster;

Retrieving bug reports... Done
Parsing Found/Fixed information... Done
serious bugs of unattended-upgrades (→ 1.11) <Outstanding>
 b2 - #905877 - regression in 1.4: upgrades random packages from
testing to experimental (doesn't respect pinning?)

Then again perhaps not just yet