Re: Getting amd64 stretch netinstall to work.

On Thu 04 Apr 2019 at 13:12:58 (-0400), Felix Miata wrote:
> Gene Heskett composed on 2019-04-04 10:39 (UTC-0400):
>
> > So how _exactly_ do I make the installer take what it finds, format it,
> > and just get on with it?
>
> First select manual partitioning (all these are the same screen):
> https://www.howtoforge.com/images/debian_stretch_minimal_server/debian-9-server-img-16.png
> https://debian-handbook.info/browse/stable/images/inst-partman.png
> https://photonsphere.org/img/PartitionDisks.png
>
> Then select the disk (should resemble one of these):
> https://www.tecmint.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Select-free-space-to-partition.png
> https://www.tecmint.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Overview-of-disks.png
> https://photonsphere.org/img/PartitionDisksManual3.png
>
> Choose the partition to configure (I think these are actually the same screen as
> previous group, except with disk's partitions expanded):
> https://www.pontikis.net/blog/media/2013/04/debian-7-wheezy-rc1-lamp-server-setup-step-by-step/post/VBX_DEBIAN7_31_partitioning.png
> https://blog.sleeplessbeastie.eu/assets/uploads/2013/10/debian_install-partition_disks-partitions_end.png
>
> Here's the screen where the main business gets done, selecting mount point, format
> type, mount options, volume label:
> https://www.tecmint.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Swap-Partition-Details.png
> https://photonsphere.org/img/PartitionDisksBootPartitionSettings.png
> https://www.pontikis.net/blog/media/2013/04/debian-7-wheezy-rc1-lamp-server-setup-step-by-step/post/VBX_DEBIAN7_25_partitioning.png
>
> Select mount point detail screen:
> https://www.pontikis.net/blog/media/2013/04/debian-7-wheezy-rc1-lamp-server-setup-step-by-step/post/VBX_DEBIAN7_26_partitioning.png
>
> If I knew how to get my own screencaps from a text install on real hardware (not a
> virtual machine) I would make my own web page to do what the Debian Handbook seems
> can't be bothered to do. It would probably be somewhat like
> https://www.pontikis.net/blog/debian-7-wheezy-rc1-lamp-server-setup-step-by-step
> except the images would be big enough to see without having to open each in turn.

(I haven't looked at these links yet.)

The way I've always done it is to use script (or cut and paste) while
installing over ssh. To get the first few screens, you have to go back
to the beginning (Select a Language) and repeat them.

The trickiest screens are the ones that set up the network itself.

Cheers,
David.