Re: 'synaptic' removed from buster

On Thursday 04 April 2019 09:02:13 Reco wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 04, 2019 at 09:20:51AM -0300, Francisco M Neto wrote:
> > On Thu, 2019-04-04 at 12:33 +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:
> > > If it is not, there is nothing preventing it's return to
> > > repositories

> > > Indeed.  Reading the bug report demonstrates that ppl are keen for
> > > it to be re-instated.  However, not working properly in Gnome is
> > > considered (understandably, IMO) a show-stopper.
> >
> > 	What is the problem between Synaptic and Gnome? I've been using
> > both without a single hiccup for years...
>
> The official reason is "'sudo synaptic' does not work with Wayland
> session, therefore GNOME users will be confused". Also, comment 50
> from #818366.
>
> The *unofficial* one is the existence of "gnome-packagekit". The thing
> needs users, and this is one of the ways of getting them.
>
> Reco

I frankly don't care if it needs users. To get users, it has to work. If
it doesn't work at least as well as synaptic, it will never get the
users. If thats not plain enough to the people making these descisions,
tuff luck.  This stuff gets its users by working, and gnome has not
recently demonstrated that. All I've seen in stretch is a roadblock to
getting anything useful done.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)