Re: How did relatime get set on my Wheezy system?

>UUID=874304c9-36c6-4572-909b-c4c75d13269a /var ext4 defaults 0 2
>
>When I look at the same partition in /etc/mtab, I see this:
>
>/dev/sdb8 /var ext4 rw,relatime,user_xattr,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
>
>What I don't understand, for example, is where and how relatime got set
>(and maybe some of the other parameters).

On stretch system, man mount has under "FILESYSTEM-INDEPENDENT MOUNT
OPTIONS" a section about relatime:

        Since Linux 2.6.30, the kernel defaults to the behavior
        provided by this option (unless noatime was specified), and
        the strictatime option is required to obtain traditional
        semantics.  In addition, since Linux 2.6.30, the file's last
        access time is always updated if it is more than 1 day old.

>Finally (well, I have another question that I'll post separately), I'm
>assuming that I can include noatime in the /etc/fstab file I change the
>entry for the partition I am reformatting?  (That is where noatime is set
>on my Jessie system.)

I've used noatime in fstab for a long time that way.  Check man mount and
see what wheezy says, not sure about the history there...

L8r,
bw